Sunday, August 19, 2007

The beauty that is Cameroon

It’s been 69 days since I first arrived at Douala airport. Almost 1668 hours since I boarded a bus that night, that would take me to Yaoundé (or so I hoped). And its been approximately 100,000 minutes since I first began a journey that would not only open my eyes, but also my heart.

Not a day has past since I left Cameroon, that I have not closed my eyes and wished to be back in the “armpit of Africa”. As I sit here and repeat this ritual to which I have been accustomed, I am overwhelmingly engrossed in my memory – the moist heat, the orderly chaos of people and taxis’, the sound of palpably genuine prayer, the weight of a sleeping child in my arms, the loving touch of a grandparent, and the welcoming smile of a stranger. As my body is overpowered by my memory, I am forced to open my eyes and confront the emptiness in my chest. My mother’s hope and fear was actualized - I left a piece of my heart in Cameroon.

It hasn’t been until now, that I can effectively look back on my trip to Cameroon and begin to really understand how much I have been impacted by the immersion and each of the people I met over the two week period in June. I haven’t been able to really discuss the trip in detail for two reasons: firstly, out of fear that words would be a completely inadequate means of conveying my experience or capturing the beauty of Cameroon and my family there, and secondly, because I learned very quickly that I have little patience for ignorance and blind judgment.

My second night back from Cameroon, a friend of the family made the statement, “I imagine it would be hard not to feel superior in Africa”. While I knew he didn’t realize the weight of his words, it took the strength of every bone in my body to swallow back the scream that was rising in my diaphragm. I mustered up enough patience to explain to him, that for the past two weeks I had never once felt superior but instead I felt completely inadequate. I had witnessed the kind of strength, resilience, determination, and spirit, that I never imagined could be possessed by a single human being: A young man on the bus who was willing to give anything to complete his education in order to be a successful doctor and “save lives”, an orphan who is confident that she will one day be the president of Cameroon, and a former street child who has suffered more pain than a heart should ever have to hold, yet is not only helping to educate and raise his sisters, but is fulfilling a dream to inspire others through his own passion.

Did I feel superior? No. I felt guilty and ashamed. Ashamed of the wealth and luxury that I, as an American and a European citizen, have been granted, due in part to the history of exploitation of African people and resources. As the fire inside me began to finally extinguish itself, I realized that I wasn’t ready to try to address people’s ignorance or their prejudices. I also wasn’t ready to begin to sort through my own. After two months however, I have finally had time to let the experience soak in and I would like to dedicate the first entries of this blog to try and share some of my memories of the beauty that is Cameroon.

While we all have first impressions and often times make quick and uneducated judgments, I would like to challenge myself and anyone else who reads this, to take just an extra minute to look for and be open to the beauty. Especially of a place or a people unseen.

10 comments:

Patrick Danger Wu said...

Annemieke - This is great...you're such a rock star!

chelseabeth said...

nugget face, you're writing is beautiful. i love you. and i think you're going to change the world.

<333,
your sister

chelseabeth said...

ps- by "you're writing is beautiful," i meant to say that "your writing is beautiful."

you dig?

bernardina wilcox said...

He lieverd,
Beautifully said. Ik weet dat mijn kleintje op een ontdekkingsreis is naar verre oorden, met een specialy bestemming. Viaje con Dios.

Anonymous said...

Annemeika-

I can tell that you spent some time on this. Not only do your words manage to capture an incredibly complex experience, but they have this poetic rythm that is absolutely stunning. Your creative genius is evident not only in your command of the english language, but also in your understanding of the human heart. You did Cameroon proud.

Much Love

Heidi said...

Dear Mieke,
This is beautiful... I'm in tears...
Heidi

Tracy Wilcox said...

Miekes - You amaze me!
I am speechless.

I love you!
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Miekes, how could I have known,20 years ago, singing you to sleep, that you would build "bridges" with such heart felt love & intensity? I accept the challenge and support you with all of my heart. You inspire me. love

Unknown said...

Miekes,
Maybe words can't do absolute justice to your experience, but your words do a damn good job! I am so happy you went and am inspired by your growth and strength. You have one of the biggest hearts I know, and you will do wonders with it! This half of the brain is awed at the other half:) Love you!

Unknown said...

My gorgeous, gorgeous friend,

It is so hard to respond because the eloquence and precision of your writing has taken such a strong hold on my emotions. You paint so well with both a brush and your words. You have captured the feelings of a time forever and I am really very grateful because I would be terribly angry if I lost the power of our Cameroonian moments.

Fittingly enough, your James Taylor song played as I read your blog.

So close your eyes
You can close your eyes, its all right...
But I can sing this song
And you can sing this song
When Im gone

could those words be any more fitting for our memories? We all have the song of Cameroon left in our hearts. All we need to do is close our eyes and it is there.

Thanks for being so amazing.