Monday, June 7, 2010

Here we go again! India: Round 3

It's about 4am in Amsterdam and I can't sleep. I'm trying to remember the sounds, the heat, and the overwhelming smells of bombay. It's been a year since I've been back to India and I am filled with nervous anticipation. It's as if i am waiting to meet with an old friend i haven't seen for some time - wondering if we will pick up just where we left off, with old stories to discuss and new memories to make.

I hope to do a better job this summer of documenting my experiences. It's difficult to describe what goes on in the city that never sleeps. It's even more difficult to paint an accurate depiction of the people I meet and the slum areas where I work. But I will do my best. Please remember however, that the images i describe and the insights i may offer are but one view of a complex, multidimensional, and ever changing society. My experiences are just a single story of a nation with a library of tales to share.

With that said, I am very excited to see what kind of mischief I will get myself into this time around.

As anxious as I am about arriving in Mumbai late tonight, I have no doubt that with a slight wiggle of the head, India will again welcome me with open arms. And with my first cup of piping hot chai, I will feel right back at home.

Love from Amsterdam

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Can't wait to hear about all your adventures. Clark and I had such a great time with you in Lost Angeles.

You are always in our thoughts!

Love you,

T,C,and lets not forget little E!

littlejoys said...

Hey lets meet up :-)i'm in Mumbai now!