Thursday, June 26, 2008

Haridwar & Rishikesh

A lot has happened since my last post. I spent an hour in the computer room yesterday trying to upload pictures but no luck – unfortunately the internet is just too slow. So I guess I will have to be extra vivid in my descriptions.
Mom and Dad arrived in Babrala last Friday and we spent the whole weekend together. I was so happy and relieved to see them. It was the first time I really let myself relax since I arrived in India. On Saturday after work we left for Haridwar (where the Ganges or "Ganga" flows down from the mountains) and Rishikesh ("the place where the Beatles hung out" mom read in her book). We spent the night in a hotel, walking distance from the street bazaar. Though the bazaar was close to the hotel, I wouldn’t dare say it was easy to get to. As soon as we stepped out of our hotel a typical India street greeted us.
Picture this – me in the front, mom in the middle, and dad in the back. Walking like a little family of ducklings over heaps of mud, around vendor carts, people, and dogs. Horns whaling in the background. Then the fun part – crossing the street – holding hands like little children, dodging rickshaws and cars (which by the way do not drive on the right side of the road nor the left side, but in any which direction/ side they please). Finally we make it to the entrance of the bazaar where thankfully cars are not allowed. It was awesome. I’ve never seen anything like it. Both sides of the road were paved with small shops selling fabric, jewelry, trinkets, and snacks (everything deep fried right there on the side of the street). Mom and I bought glass bangles, which make the coolest sound when they clink together.
On Sunday we traveled the short distance to Rishikesh. It is a place where many people come to take holy bathes, pray, and worship the Ganga River. We took a small boat across the Ganga to where the ashrams and temples are. As soon as we stepped off the boat we were asked to take a picture with a group of young men. I really wish I could post the picture because there is no way to describe the expressions on everyone’s face. We were celebrities for a day. Every 20 minutes someone stopped us on the street and wanted to take a "snap" with us. It was like we were a family of giraffes. Pink giraffes! In the middle of super market. Everywhere we went, people stared. It was pretty funny.
Dad bought a small basket of flowers with a candle in the middle that was to be floated down the river - an offering to the Ganga. Sounds like a pretty image, but after dropping the basket from a three-foot ledge the candle was blown out and the half-flooded basket just kind of sat there. Graceful dad! Real graceful! J We walked around for a couple of hours, visiting an ashram (where anyone can stay free of charge as long as they abide by the rules) and soaking in the spiritual vibe of the town. We walked back across one of the two famous footbridges (which I can’t remember the name of) and spent the next 4 hours in traffic driving back to Haridwar.
That night our driver, Pintu, who has been super helpful, took us to the evening worshiping ceremony at the Ganga. There were hundreds of people bathing and playing in the water. The best way I can describe it is like having church in the middle of a wild rivers water park. People seemed to be having a great time. At 7:20 a prayer was recited and we all put our hands in the air in response. Torches were lit and candles were properly sent down the river. It was truly beautiful. The people sitting around us were very eager to explain some of the ritual and share the food that they had brought. Despite the mad stampede-like rush to get out of the gated area after the ceremony, it was an amazing experience.
Mom and Dad are in Agra now and are coming back this weekend to hang out and bring me some essentials (i.e. peanut butter and an extra flash drive) before they head to Jaipur and then back home to the US. Can’t wait to see them again!
By the way thank you guys so much for all of the email messages/ facebook posts/ and bog comments. I get so excited and love hearing from everyone. It makes home seem not so far away.
Love from Babarala.

4 comments:

unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

darling annemieke,

i certainly do think that the world is brighter with you in it! not just because of your radiant skin and beautiful hair, but because of your movement and direction.

love from the philippines!
jl

Anonymous said...

Miekes!!!!!! We miss you. I am sitting here cracking up!! I can totally picture the whole scenario. What an amazing experience!!
I'm sending you a package tomorrow. What do you need, & want? Hot Cheetos for sure....what else???

Clark and I love and miss you!! Have fun!!!
xo,
C&T

Anonymous said...

Hi Annemieke!
I have been following your blog and LOVE your adventures! You are an amazing writer and yes the 3 of you are B.U.T.FUL giraffes.I miss you guys. Conor got a lead in Sweeny Todd in steamboat so luna, miguel and I are mtg up there 8/1,2,3. wish u guys could come.
LOVE, TRISH