Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I’m in India!!

Wow. The last 3 days have been an amazing whirlwind of adventures. I arrived in Mumbai/ Bombay at 2am on June 2nd and was brought to the Tata Tea guesthouse where I spent my first night. Later that morning Liza and I were picked up and taken to Bombay House for the company orientation which lasted all day and ended with an informal dinner/ drink at the Clubhouse. By the time we got back to the house I was completely exhausted. Yesterday morning Pedro and I flew from Bombay to Delhi and were greeted by a very kind Bengali driver (whose name I cannot even begin to pronounce). We had a great time – He practiced his English while I was able to humor him with the few Hindi words that I know. He got a kick out of the fact that my name sounds like Anamika, a common Hindi name meaning “No name”. We were cracking up. The 6 hour drive to Babrala was absolutely unreal. We were able to see a completely different side of India than I have heard of read about. People are extremely beautiful here and everything is so vibrant. We passed through many small rural villages each with its own people, market, and cows (which wander in every which way they please). We finally reached Tata Chemicals, which has gorgeous grounds covered in peacocks, and met some of the other Indian students doing internships here as well. The Tata township is really amazing. It is equipped with a tennis court, lake, and swimming pool. We were invited to watch the nightly game of cricket - a hugely popular sport in India. Such a blast - i can't wait to learn how to play! Today (it’s currently 5:45am) we are learning more about our specific projects and getting to know the teams we will be working with.
Love from Babrala.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glade you are able to keep us updated with your blog and email. Have fun love Daddio